Concave Grating Spectrometer Features
- Measurements in the 190-850nm or 280-900nm ranges
- High performance concave grating optics for UV-VIS applications
- Superb spectral imaging with no mirrors for lowest possible stray light
- Enhanced UV Sensitivity & Flat-field imaging for uniform resolution
- No optical adjustments for extreme thermal stability and ruggedness
- Thermo-electrically Cooled Detector (TEC) upgrade increases S/N by 60%
- BLACK-Comet-SR (Super Range) for wide range applications 200-1100nm
- BLACK-Comet-HR (High Resolution) for high resolution applications <0.4nm
StellarNet BLACK-Comet concave grating spectrometers deliver high performance for spectroscopy applications in the UV-VIS wavelength ranges covering 190-850nm (model C), or optionally 280-900nm (model CXR)
Research Grade Optical Performance – The BLACK-Comet UV-VIS spectrometers utilize a 40mm diameter concave grating with aberration correction to provide the best optical performance of any compact spectrometer on the market.
- Improved spectral shapes by reducing comma and astigmatism found in plane grating spectrograph designs.
- Stray light reduction- The spectrograph architecture does not utilize mirrors, and therefore provides the lowest possible stray light, which is especially helpful for UV applications.
- Enhanced sensitivity- due to the spectrometers ability to reduce light scatter, especially high power UV light, the BLACK-Comet provides two to three times enhanced UV sensitivity as compared to plane grating/Czerny Turner optical configurations.
- Uniform resolution – The concave grating produces a flat field on the CCD detector creating uniform resolution over the entire spectral range.
- Thermal Stability- Optical bench architecture without mounting turrets and optical posts (typically in most USB spectrometers) decreases thermal expansion and contraction and increases overall system performance with temperature change
Various models provide a choice of wavelength range and slit resolutions. New and improved electronics with a high speed 16-bit digitizer allows for fast data acquisition and a signal to noise of 1000:1!
Ruggedized – The detachable spectrograph assembly and control electronics are protected inside a rugged metal enclosure, suitable for portable, process, lab, and field applications.
Multi-unit connection (up to 8) can be daisy chained together and are able to run simultaneously.
USB Powered – BLACK-Comet UV-VIS spectrometers can be powered directly from your PC’s USB-2 port. A single strand fiber optic cable or probe assembly delivers input via standard SMA 905 fiber optic connector with a choice of cable lengths.
Onboard Memory with pre-set calibrations and spectrometer settings and snap shot memory to provide instantaneous spectral image from the highly sensitive CCD with 2048.
High Speed Electronic Interface can be attached directly to a computers USB port for high speed data transfer. Options for Wifi/ethernet communication available as well as other interfaces. ContactUs@StellarNet.us for more info.
|BLACK-Comet||Wavelength Range (nm)||Grating g / mm||Slit-200 nm res.||Slit-100 nm res.||Slit-50 nm res.||Slit-25 nm res.||Slit-14 nm res.|
Deuterium Lamp Spectra Tungsten Halogen Lamp spectrum Grating Efficiency Curve
* StellarNet technical staff is currently updating available web database. Send us an email at ContactUs@StellarNet.us if you want a specific spectrum that hasn’t been posted yet
|Specifications: BLACK-Comet Spectrometers from $2,950|
|Dynamic Range:||2000:1 with 6 decades||Dimensions:||69 x 100 x 150 mm|
|Optical Resolution:||< 1 nm Resolving Res. with 25um slit||Power Consumption:||100 mA @ 5 VDC|
|Detector Type:||2048 pixel CCD, PDA opt.||Interface:||USB-2|
|Detector Range:||C=190-850nm or CXR=280-900nm||Data Transfer Speed:||3x / 40x faster than USB-1|
|Pixel Size:||14 um x 200 um||Detector Integration:||1 ms to 65 s|
|Concave Grating:||Aberration corrected||Slit Size Options:||14, 25, 50, 100, 200 um|
|Grating Type:||Holographic, 590 g/mm||Stray Light:||0.02% at 435 nm; 0.2% at 200 nm|
|Spectrograph:||f/2, Flat field – No mirrors||Fiber Optic Input:||SMA905 0.22 na single fiber|
|Order Sorting Filter:||Integrated multi-band||Operating Systems:||Win XP, Vista, 7, 8, & 10|
|Signal to Noise:||1000:1 CCD, *TEC optional upgrade||Software Included:||SpectraWiz program & apps|
|Digitizer:||16-bit||Also Free Programs For:||LabView / VC / VBA / Delphi|
BLACK-Comet TE Cooler upgrades reduce the temperature of the CCD to 15 degrees below ambient and increase instrument S/N drastically by reducing noise over 50% at long exposures. This upgrade improves the compact spectrometer’s measurement quality and makes it a perfect solution for fluorescence and other weak emission applications. In order to achieve low temperatures the TEC add-on includes a new sealed and isolated detector enclosure with specialized heat sink and air flow design for added stability and cool operation.
TEC Upgrade Price -> $1,650
Low light spectral measurement of a dim backlit LED display. The display measurement is performed with a BLACK-Comet-TEC spectrometer with the thermo-electric cooler ON and OFF at a 30 second exposure time. The background noise is drastically reduced, increasing instrument detection capabilities.
Super Ranges (200-1100nm)
StellarNet has released super range concave grating spectrometers, BLACK-Comet-SR. The grating uses an enhanced Dual Blaze technology to extend the concave grating models range to 1100nm.
See more at BLACK-Comet-SR
High Resolutions (<0.4nm)
StellarNet has just released high resolution concave grating spectrometers, BLACK-Comet-HR. The new models come in a UV (200-600nm) and VIS (380-750nm) range with resolutions down to 0.4nm.
See more at BLACK-Comet-HR
BLACK-Comet Sample Spectra
Optical Metrology and Colorimetry
BLACK-Comet UV-VIS spectrometer model CXR-25 (-25 denotes slit size) measuring the transmission of a blue plastic film using a SL1 tungsten halogen lamp, TXF-4 transmission fixture, and two F600-VIS-NIR fiber optic cables and providing colorimetric data in CIELAB color space. Go to the colorimetry page.
Spectral sensitivity is one of the most important factors in choosing the proper miniature spectrometer. The concave grating optical design allows for high sensitivity and a smooth spectral distribution over the wavelength range as shown in the above spectrum of a Tungsten Halogen lamp.
UV-VIS Absorbance System
StellarNet’s Low Cost UV-VIS Spectrometer system is composed of the BLACK-Comet research grade concave grating spectrometer, a SL5 high stability light source with integrated cuvette holder, and an optical coupling fiber. Above is the absorbance spectrum of various sugars.
The powerful SpectraWiz® spectrometer software is provided free of charge with every spectrometer instrument. This includes drivers and customizable software for Windows. The SpectraWiz software is considered the “Swiss Army Knife of Spectroscopy” and may be used to accurately measure wavelength emissions, reflectance, transmission, absorption, concentrations, and absolute intensities. In addition to real-time spectroscopy, SpectraWiz® has built-in applications for SpectroRadiometry, SpectroColorimetry, ChemWiz chemistry lab concentration analyzer, and UV level monitors.
TTL input trigger to enable spectrometer scan $100
Units may be daisy chained via USB-2 hub allowing simple configurations for dual and multi-beam process applications. 8 BLUE-Wave spectrometers can be operated at once!
Technical Information Request
Modern technological advances have made our lives easier – from pharmaceuticals to help us stay healthy, to pesticides that allow greater crop yield – at least in the short term. But, what happens to these compounds once we are done using them? Many of them end up in...read more